Based on my considerable experience in this area, hereâ€™s how – generally speaking – a candidate will prioritize the interests of stakeholders – all in the name of winning elections and diminishing the effort they need to undertake to win.
- Ability to organize and deliver large numbers of constituents
- Ability to organize large numbers of campaign volunteers
- Ability to raise money from large numbers of donors
- Constituent who donated money and worked on campaign
- Constituent who donated money
- Constituent who worked on campaign
- Non-constituent who worked on campaign
- Non-constituent who donated money
- Constituent who is known to member and is a member of same party
- Constituent who is member of same party
- Constituent who actually votes (and voted for member)
- Constituent who actually votes
As you can see, a little effort and organization on our side can have a huge impact on Gillibrand.
If even 1/10th of the gun owners in New York donated 25 dollars, and called to tell her to vote against a new gun control law, she’d be hard pressed not to listen.Â That would be serious money she’d be putting at risk by going against you, and her natural inclination as a politician seems to be pro-gun.
There are limits to this, of course, you’re not going to turn Chuck Schumer pro-gun no matter how much you donate, because he’s a true believer, and he can make up that money elsewhere.Â But Kirsten Gillibrand has a record, and it’s good.Â Those pooh poohing her because she’s not good enough, or because she frames gun rights in the language of hunting are forgetting that a) this is New York we’re talking about, and she has to win a Dem primary in two years and b) it’s sometimes necessary to take a gamble on someone new and promising in order to build influence early.Â If you support her, either through donations, organizing or volunteering, and she screws you over, you can always withdraw that support, and make sure she knows why.Â This is a prime opportunity for gun owners, but will enough capitalize on it in a smart way?