It’s Called Stealing

Last month we looked at a retailer who listed their policy as being one of confiscating any weapons found on customers. Seems a night club up in Scranton actually tried it, and is now being investigated by police.

13 Responses to “It’s Called Stealing”

1. John Doe says:

Doesn’t 18 Pa.C.S. §3903 (a)(2) make it a second degree felony to steal a firearm? Interested in how this plays out.

2. asdf says:

They should be treated no differently than if a mugger took the firearm. It really should be that simple.

3. bonehead says:

Hmmm….How would that work, I wonder.

Mall security guy: Sir, I believe you are carrying a concealed weapon. Please hand it over.

Me: Ah, no.

Mall security guy: Sir, if necessary I will take it from you by force.

Me (as I continue toward the exit): I really don’t think that would be a good idea. (Dials 911)

4. Chris says:

Gotta love the comments, why are anti-gunners so violent?

5. Jay says:

If it were simply a matter of them disarming him at some point after he was fighting in the club, I could see where they might be justified in keeping his weapon from him *for the time being* if he was drunk and disorderly, etc.

However, it’s gonna be pretty hard for them to justify charging him for return of his property.

• Sebastian says:

Understandable maybe, but not legal without his permission. They have two options. If they keep the gun, it has to be with his permission, and they have to return it when asked (presumably upon leaving). The other option is they can ask him to leave. They can’t forcibly take and hold your property.

6. Bryan S. says:

Hell of a town…

7. Right Wing Wacko says:

Club Security? You mean bouncer right? I’ve seen some of these guys and many of them have a rap sheet a mile long. What are the chances that the person that took the gun was a prohibited person?

8. Jeff says:

I’d have to say, I wouldn’t have paid them the $$$, bad move, It’d be a much better call to the cops to say that the bouncer stole my gun.

Of course I’d not be in a after hour club..

9. Jay says:

Stirring the pot some more:

Is it not illegal in PA to take your gun into a club like that…assuming it was also a bar?

• Sebastian says:

No, it’s not. There’s no law about bars and guns in PA. There’s not even any law about guns and drinking. Though it would be a safe assumption that if you’re busted for some alcohol related crime, or you’re caught breaking some other law while drunk and carrying, the sheriff will revoke your permit. There is some discretion sheriffs here have.

• Sebastian says:

I’d also note, even if it was illegal, the only thing they can do is call the cops. They still can’t take his gun and keep it.

1. What? Constitution? Are You Serious? | Daily Pundit - [...] What? Constitution? Are You Serious? Posted on September 11, 2012 11:30 am by Bill…