Veto Override on Castle Doctrine

New Hampshire is now a castle doctrine state, thanks to the 251 to 111 vote in the House. The Senate voted earlier to override by 17 to 7. It becomes law despite the veto from the Governor.

20 Responses to “Veto Override on Castle Doctrine”

1. Dannytheman says:

Wooooohhhhoooooooooooo!!!

Love the over ride!!! Who is the NRA rep for NH? Isn’t it the same as PA?? John Hohenwarter!!!
    Great job John!!!

PA and NH in same year!!

2. Carl from Chicago says:

Boston Globe reports that the law’s effective date is 60 days from now.

3. mike says:

He’s also the lobbyist for Ohio which saw the passage of a restaurant carry bill.

4. Needless to say, I was one of the 251 who voted to override today. As to who is the NRA rep for NH, I haven’t got the slightest idea. We like to figure out on our own how to vote on matters like this. It’s not that hard really.

5. Braden Lynch says:

Thank you Representative Bruce MacMahon! I’m out in wacky California and I appreciate the fine example you presented by voting to override the veto.

6. Carl from Chicago says:

Rep. MacMahon:

I want to thank you, too. I live in Kentucky and we have a very robust “castle doctrine” and “stand your ground” law here. None of the issues your opponents are so worried about seem to be a problem here.

Best regards!

7. When we voted to overturn a recently enacted ban on the carrying of guns in the State House, we were told that the bullets would start flying over heated political debate. Surprise! No hailstorms of lead to report.

I was promised flying bullets dammit. I’m so disappointed.

The opposition members who spoke on the floor of the House this afternoon were pushing so much misinformation (also called lies) it was laughable. You’d think they’d read the bill before proving to the world they have no idea what they are talking about. It’s all of 2-1/2 pages long.

8. Greg in Allston says:

Bruce, It’s real good to see you post in the gunny blogosphere. I sure do miss Mass/No Looking Backwards but I suppose that respectability has it’s price. I’m also very glad to see you carrying on the good fight in Concord. Slainte, to you and yours!!

Bruce made a wise choice. I’m going to highlight a Volokh post shortly that shows state government are more respected that blogs. The only institution that people have faith in less, apparently, is Congress. I’m glad for that. If bloggers were less respected than Congress, I think I’d need to find something better to do with my time :)

10. OKglockman says:

Armslist is giving away free stuff in their promotional contest. It is the “Craigslist of Firearms” Check it out.

11. OKglockman says:

Check out the “Craigslist of Firearms”

They are giving away free stuff in their contest..

12. Ian Argent says:

You’d have to run for Congress, then, is all

13. Dannytheman says:

Just my thoughts on this subject.
    “The only institution that people have faith in less, apparently, is Congress. I’m glad for that. If bloggers were less respected than Congress, I think I’d need to find something better to do with my time :)”

I constantly here the talking heads mentioning that Congress has the lowest approval ratings, blah, blah, blah. But, IMHO, when asked about their Congressman, most people say he/she does a great job, and that it isn’t him/her that is part of the problem.

When you say President Obama ratings are down, we are looking at 1 man. when you say Congress has a low rating, it a collective and not representative of the guy/gal that the person questioned votes for.

14. Ian Argent says:

That’s actually a serious problem, that the voters see their Congress critters as worthy, but the rest as a pack of scoundrels. It shapes the debate and internal party politics in an unhealthy way, IMHO.

15. Bryan S. says:

Dannytehman, you should take a read of this… http://pgnh.org/heave_ho_hohenwarter

There is a lot of talk that the reason this even needed such a long process is because of the replacement bill that he wrote up.

16. Sage Thrasher says:

The veto is probably the best indicator yet Lynch isn’t planning to run for another term. He’s already set an incumbency record in NH.

17. HerrBGone says:

Yet another reason for me to move north of the border. (Instead of just shopping there!) Hopefully I’ll find something soon…

18. 45er says:

Welcome to the fold. Castle Doctrines sure can make you feel more at ease. It’s like having homeowner’s insurance.

19. Chas says:

While the governor has his bodyguards to do his shooting for him, members of the legislature will have to wield their own guns in the event of a home invasion. That may account for some of the difference of opinion on castle doctrine.
    It’s outrageous to have a politician who is so arrogant that he will oppose castle doctrine, even while he himself is protected by armed bodyguards.

1. Daily Pundit - The National Electoral College Abolishment Scam Bill... ...
  2. Daily Pundit » New Hampshire Governor: Live Free Or Die, But Only At Home - [...] Veto Override on Castle Doctrine | Snowflakes in Hell New Hampshire is now a castle doctrine state, thanks to…