Infantry Weapons of 1954

I’ve been poking around for some public domain video, and I found this “film bulletin” on infantry firepower from 1954. I don’t know why, but I’m amused by these types of videos. I especially love how you can see the instructor is speaking, and it in no way matches what the narrator is saying. Because clearly showing a video is a great substitute for actually sitting out on the range for this kind of exposure to shooting.

12 Responses to “Infantry Weapons of 1954”

1. Carl from Chicago says:

Interesting … the context was “weapons to be used for individual self-defense.”

2. I love how they use the teacup weaver for holding the 1911 when they are shooting from the kneeling and prone positions

3. j t bolt says:

Love these old vids.

4. Mike says:

When did muzzle discipline evolve into what we know and preach today? The instructor has no problem setting the guns down so that the students are looking right into the muzzle.

5. Ken Rihanek says:

Impressive how stable the submachine gun was. Shooting it one handed w/o using the buttstock and no muzzle rise.

6. Weer'd Beard says:

Well Ken, it weighs 8lbs, I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t stay right where you put it if its only shooting a low-pressure pistol caliber.

I must say, I wouldn’t mind getting my hand on an M3 is the Hughes amendment is ever repealed and one can be had for what it actually costs to build one.

7. Brad says:

The opening credits of the film seem to indicate 1953.

8. Bitter says:

The data on release from – which I believe is getting these from the source agencies – says it was released in 1954. It might have been made the year before it was actually used.

9. Shootin' Buddy says:

FYI, the Fulton Armory sells DoD small arms videos. They make great gifts:

10. Bram says:

I had no idea that you had to shove your finger into the bolt of the M3 to charge it. Isn’t it hot after a 30-round burst? Do you really have to close and open that cover in combat?

11. Hal J. says:

Whoa.. old school, but interesting! Gotta love the classics!