Buying Controversy

Morgan Spurlock needs to make a point about the proliferation of advertising in America. In order to make that point in a Hollywood film, he had to buy off a town in an area making massive budget cuts for $25,000.

Between April 27 and June 24, residents of Altoona will be living in “POM Wonderful Presents: The Greatest Movie Ever Sold, Pennsylvania.”

So he’s creating controversy in order to make a film about the controversy of advertising. Remember that next time you ever see his name attached to anything.

12 Responses to “Buying Controversy”

1. Justin Buist says:

I’m not surprised.

When he tried to do a show about how it’s impossible to live on minimum wage he had to shop around to find a job that paid that little. I could swear he had to relocate a few states way to actually find that job.

So, yeah, not surprised he’s going well out of his way to make a point.

I don’t really mind his shtick though. I don’t know why, but I guess just because it’s so transparent that he’s forcing the issue if you have any information surrounding the subject.

2. Wait, wait–the dude who spent a month eating exclusively one food to deliberate excess and implied that his failing health proved that food was made by Satan might be manufacturing a controversy? ;)

3. Chas says:

Is it odd that commie lib leftistas never want to do a film about the supersizing of government?

4. Actually the film is more about the ubiquity of advertising not it’s controversy. It’s basically a film about product placement in films.

• Bitter says:

But you know he’s critical of advertising, so it’s going to be laced with sarcasm and jabs at anyone who engages in it.

5. Wes says:

And on that note, Supersize Me sucks. If anyone thinks fat and cholesterol cause heart disease, watch Fat Head and read up on the Lipid Hypothesis.

6. Dannytheman says:

You all blame the guy? How about the Altoona elected officials?

D U M B!

7. Bitter says:

I saw the trailer for it tonight while at Atlas Shrugged. Oh the irony. But I should note that the film features Ralph Nader – hardly a supporter of business.

8. Countertop says:

How was Atlas Shrugged?

I’ve heard some horrible reviews.

9. Bitter says:

Go see it! It’s not a big budget Michael Bay film by any means. But, it is a good adaptation from a novelist known for her ability to discuss philosophy, not entertain. I think they did a very good job of taking content from someone like Ayn Rand and make it easy for a mass audience to follow.

10. MaggieL says:

If you want to know how bogus Spurlock is, watch “Fathead’: