Friday Time Waster

Thanks to Ian Argent for finding this great time waster for long car rides. Called “Six Degrees of Queen Victoria,” a game you play by going to a Wikipedia link, and then trying to get to Queen Victoria in six clicks. I’ve tried it on more than a few Wikipedia pages and have made it every time. Here are some examples:

Chick-fil-A to Southern United States (1) to American Civil War (2) to Trent Affair (3) to Queen Victoria (4) WIN!

or how about

Celebuzz to Celebrity Culture (1) to Paparazzi (2) to Europe (3) to United Kingdom (4) to Victorian Era (5) to Victoria (6) WIN!

Of course, you could find someone else who wants to waste time, and take bets on whether they can reduce your number of clicks. For instance, maybe I could have gotten there faster through France, rather than Europe.

25 Responses to “Friday Time Waster”

1. RedeemedBDB says:

That’s a fun game, of course previously I’d played it with Hitler.
    A couple co-workers and I came up with an alternate… Two people click on ‘random page’ and then everyone has to go from one of those random pages to the other. Historical figures are pretty easy (since it’s just a matter of tracing to something which links to them). But, going from say…gene therapy to sonnets written for performances in the key of F minor…that’s a little trickier. :)

B

2. I tried.

But used *adult* content. After 20 clicks, no go.

3. Ian Argent says:

You do realize that you said in all seriousness that a parlor game requiring internet access can be played in the car. I love this future we live in.

4. Bitter says:

I’m so good. I took the adult content & made it work. As I said to Cemetery, Score for spanking Victoria!

Spanking -> Corporal punishment in the home -> Bulgaria -> Crimean War -> British Empire -> Victoria

Anal bleaching -> Hydroquinone -> People’s Republic of China -> World Trade Organization -> John Maynard Keynes -> Victorian era -> Queen Victoria

5. Newbius says:

Anal Bleaching > Hydroquinone > International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) > World War II > British Empire > Queen Victoria (5)

What do I win? :)

6. Tea Bag (sexual act)->Boston Tea Party->Petition to the King->George III->Queen Victoria

7. koveras225 says:

Three clicks here… Starting from a random article…

You’re a Star -> Ireland (1) -> United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (2) -> Queen Victoria (3)

Not quite as impressive as getting there from some of the above, but still… :-)

8. Ian Argent says:

@Newbius – your prize will be delivered in a brown paper wrapper

The rest of you, jolly good show

9. Bitter says:

Okay, I’m having way too much fun with not only the naughty words, but also trying to find some of the funniest ways to get to Queen Victoria. Mixing the two goals makes the game much better.

Bondage -> Safeword -> EuroTrip -> Europe -> British Empire -> Queen Victoria
    Who knew that you could connect Victoria to sexual dominance by way of bad teen comedy?

Chastity belt -> Austria -> Austrian Empire -> Queen Victoria
    I don’t even know how to make a joke about this one.

I’m on a mission to find something naughty that can’t be tied to Victoria.

10. Try Pony Play.

I tried, but after a few trys getting me passed 15. I gave up.

11. Ian Argent says:

Furry > Science Fiction > Jules Verne > British Empire …

12. Ian Argent says:

Pony Play>American Indian Tribes>United States>English>British Empire>Queen Victoria

13. Ian Argent says:

I did Pony Play, but it got spamtrapped; and the verison I did had an extraneous step, since United States has a link to British Empire directly without having to go through English

14. Bitter says:

Wow. I get up for a few minutes to take care of dinner and this is what you guys find? Man.

In the meantime, I did find this one amusing:

American Pie -> Premature ejaculation -> Wilhelm Reich -> Vienna -> Napoleonic Wars -> Duke of Wellington -> Queen Victoria

15. Bitter says:

Dominatrix -> Fishnet stockings -> The Rocky Horror Picture Show -> Jim Sharman -> Australia -> Victoria -> Queen Victoria

For what it’s worth, I’ve observed that it’s very easy to get from the naughty stuff to Victoria via the Austrians. I always knew I liked their economists. ;) Obviously, I decided to take a non-European route this time. I’m trying to challenge myself a little more in this game.

I did one last night that went through the Duke of Wellington.

17. Johnny I says:

Back to the drawing board…these comments out-do David Livingstone being my 3-Great Uncle. Victoria Falls and such…

18. SidViscous says:

Wow really surprised.

Happen to be on Mike Muir’s wiki page and decided to give it a try. Was able to grab European right from his page and “Bob’s your Uncle”

19. Colin says:

Gauss > Napoleon > Horatio Nelson > George III > Queen Victoria = 4 clicks

20. Okay, I haven’t tried the dirty stuff yet, but this was my first try:

Atlas Shrugged -> World War II -> Winston Churchill -> Victoria Cross -> Queen Victoria

Funny, I really didn’t expect it to be two clicks from Churchill to Vickie.

• Bitter says:

I started down the entertainment path, but it turns out one of the first tv shows I put in was partially backed by a British company. I gave up after that.