No More California Ammo Law

The new California ammo law gets tossed for vagueness. It regulated “handgun ammo,” without providing a clear definition of what that was. Lets hope our opponents continue to be bad at drafting laws, such as they were here. What a great victory.

Hat Tip to Joe Huffman

6 Responses to “No More California Ammo Law”

1. Matt Groom says:

That’s what I said! I said “all you have to do is say it’s NOT pistol ammo, and you can sell it. Unless they can prove that you knew otherwise, or the box was marked “Handgun Ammunition”, there’s no way they could possibly prosecute you for it.” Unfortunately, I don’t know which blog I said it on…

2. Charlie Foxtrot says:

Please excuse the following:

Ahem.

Suck it, California Senator Kevin deLeon.

Thank You.

That is all.

CF

3. Ian Argent says:

Good, maybe I can buy the same in NJ without being carded.

4. DirtCrashr says:

That and the whole regulating interstate commerce thing – if they attempt to revive it it will get shot-down again.

I’m gonna go out and celebrate by buying some ammo.

5. Alpheus says:

When I was living in New York State, I remember a local radio talk show host advertising a rifle designed to shoot 9mm rounds–because it’s much easier to buy a rifle in New York State than it is to buy a handgun.

It’s my understanding that you could buy all sorts of rifles chambered for ammunition that is typically used in handguns!

On the other end of the spectrum, one of the stupidest things I’ve seen is an AR-15 pistol. It’s bulky and inaccurate–yet, it also shoots standard AR-15 rifle ammo. Does this mean rifle ammo is also handgun ammo? (Although I think it’s stupid, it nonetheless impresses me: it demonstrates the flexibility of the AR platform, and it demonstrates the silliness of trying to differentiate between handgun and rifle!)

In any case, gun designs are too flexible to make any “handgun” or “rifle” designation meaningful.

6. Ian Argent says:

NJ law requires an ID check to buy handgun ammo (undefined in law). This means I get carded and logged to buy .22lr, but not 5.56mm… One of the reasons I am interested in either a KelTec SUB2000, or the “upper” that converts my Glock to a rifle is because of the differences in law in NJ concerning rifles – it is much safer legally to transport a rifle than a handgun.