They can have my air conditioner when they pry it from my cold dead hands. Screw you hippie. The problem with this proposal, other than just being enormously stupid, a large percentage of commercial real-estate is designed around AC. In a modern glass skyscraper, the windows don’t even open. My building is a typical suburban box building, but it has a black tar roof and the windows don’t open. If the AC fails it quickly will climb above 90 in here even on a day where it’s cooler out. So unless we basically tear down most of the commercial building stock, which will consume all manner of energy and raw materials, and rebuild it, this is a no go. Can’t we just build a few more nuclear power plants instead if you’re that worried?
But I will make this stupid hippie a deal. We’ll turn off all the air conditioning in Washington DC as a pilot program. We’ll start with the Capitol. This is a green initiative I can certainly get behind.
UPDATE: Link fixed. Sorry about that.
8 thoughts on “Washington Post Runs Anti-AC Op-Ed”
Something strange is afoot in linkage land.
Bad link but I found the article.
The author is a dummy for the following reasons.
1. The Greenhouse gas worry means nothing to me and global warming has been pretty well debunked.
2. He is right, a half-century ago we used far less AC. Far less of us lived in the South. Far more of us worked outside or in factories built for air-flow. Hardly anyone used computers that are sensitive to high temps.
3. Sebastian is right – our buildings are designed for air conditioning. Even if they could be ventilated with AC, the computers and electronics would fail without AC.
4. I agree – stop cooling buildings in DC. Stop heating them too.
5. The rest of his nanny-state goody-goody article gave me douche chills – maybe that’s how he avoids the AC.
I will be happy to turn of my air, right after Al Gore & John Kerry turn off their mansion’s air.
Wonder if these nuts would be happy when their pet internet comes grinding to a screeching halt when servers start over-heating.
“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” — Albert Einstein
In a modern glass skyscraper, the windows donâ€™t even open.
Yup. I have a window office and none of the windows here open. We’d absolutely roast in here during the summer with no A/C.
I bet WaPo’s AC is running full-blast today…
What planet does that idiot moonbat live on?
Comments are closed.