Mount Vernon

Bitter and I took a trip to Mount Vernon on Sunday.  I have to say, it’s quite a nice place to visit.   It’s good exercise for a walking tour, and of great historical interest.  For only a few dollars extra, you can get a yearly pass, which after we got done our tour, decided to upgrade our ticket so we could come back.  We plan on going back when the third floor is open in December, and then maybe once in the spring.  We also realized we need to add Fort Washington to our list of things to do in the DC area.

It was a good weekend, overall.  Traffic getting from Philly to DC and back was pretty light for the weekend, so I didn’t have a protracted amount of time spent on the road.  It definitely helps now that the summer driving season is over.

6 Responses to “Mount Vernon”

1. countertop says:

took my advice, eh!

We got the annual pass to. For the same reason. Didn’t make sense not to if your gonna show up again. Did you go up the road to the Grist Mill and Distillery?

When you return in December, make sure you get tickets to the Candlelight tour. And hit the wine festival during the spring.

Didn’t get that far, unfortunately. I was surprised by how much there is to see there. You can see Monticello in a day with no problem, but Mount Vernon seems to have enough for two.

I’m guessing they have to sell that liquor through the state monopoly? What brand do they sell it under? I’m guessing the last time that distillery operated they didn’t have to deal with that sort of thing, or the ATF for that matter :)

4. straightarrow says:

Yeah, but back in that day Sebastian, Washington fought for freedom. Had he been able to see what we have become, I doubt he would have bothered.

True during the revolution. I doubt the distillers in Western Pennsylvania thought so though :)

6. straightarrow says:

Point taken. Regards to Lord Acton.