I guess he probably realized that if people like me would have been willing to travel to New York City to sign the petition to get him on the ballot in person, that perhaps it wasn’t such a good idea after all. His candidacy would have:
- Pulled more votes from the Democratic nominee than the Republican nominee.
- Pulled money away from his gun control efforts to fund his campaign.
- Put his gun control efforts front and center, and made it easier for our side to tie Everytown to Bloomberg.
- Tied his other unpopular nannying to his gun control efforts.
- Reveal the extent to which the entire gun control movement is funded by one rich billionaire.
The way I saw it, there just wasn’t any downside.