It had been a while since we had a major, high-profile mass shooting, and I was feeling like we were due. Generally speaking, I try not to make hay out of these things, out of respect for the dead. We can argue out the policy implications later. Things we can be sure about:
- Almost everything the media will say in the first several hours will be wrong.
- Gun sales will shoot back up again, as people scared of more gun control begin stockpiling again.
- President Obama has already used the incident as a call for more gun control. This was predictable.
- This will be used by mindless partisans to score cheap points against one another.
- Our opponents in the gun control will be using the incident to push their agenda before even all the facts are known. They will place the blame squarely on people like us.
Given this incident is high-profile, we have to be concerned about copycats. We are living in an increasingly ill country. Given the shooter’s age, I’m going to guess he was cuckoo for cocopuffs, and the racist stuff was part of his delusions. I kind of hope this is the case, because I can’t imagine what a monster someone would have to be to sit in a church for an hour with other people, the whole time thinking about killing them, and then follow through on your horrific plans. If he’s just a run of the mill sociopath, that’s a mad dog that needs to be put down, and I say that as someone skeptical about capital punishment.
19 Responses to “Some Things Are Like Clockwork”
- SayUncle » Mass shooting in a SC church - […] like clockwork, the usual happens. Obama calls for more gun control. And he parrots the lie that this […]