Ammunition in a Fire

Thanks to something Clayton linked to, I found this informative video from SAAMI about how ammunition reacts to various abuse, including fire.

7 Responses to “Ammunition in a Fire”

1. Phillip says:

The “Thanks to something Clayton linked to” link is a dead link or incorrect URL.

2. Joethefatman™ (@joethefatman1) says:

400,000 Four Hundred THOUSAND rounds destroyed. And here I’m stuck buying the Serbian stuff, if/when I can find it at all, I think I might cry. Manly tears of course.

• Zermoid says:

I was thinking the same thing, sad waste of perfectly good ammo.
      It’s like watching film from the prohibition era…..

3. Old Texan says:

Thank you for the information. From time to time stupid cop shows on TV have ammo going off without guns and shooting people and I have always snorted and made rude noises telling my wife how stupid the writers are. I am glad to see that once more I was right.

• Zermoid says:

Simple physics. Bullets are very heavy, brass cases are very light, set off an explosion between them and which do you think will move? That and brass being light and UN-aerodynamic in flight it will quickly slow down from air resistance.

The interesting part to me was the drop and crush tests.

4. MARIO says:

WHAT ABOUT LARGE QUANTITIES OF AMMO IN A WELL SEALED MILITARY 50 CALIBER, WELL MADE CANS.

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT IN A HOUSE FIRE CASCADING CHAIN REACTION WOULD LIBERATE LARGE AMOUNT OF POWDER AND GASES AND BEING WELL SEALED THE PROGRESSVIVE NATURE OF SMOKELESS POWDER MIGHT WELL BUILD UP TO A SMALL EXPLOSION

IS THIS POSSIBLE

MARIO THE RELOADER

• Sebastian says:

Those sealed tins I don’t think will stand up to much pressure. I think it’d blow out before there could be a dangerous amount of pressure buildup.

1. Ammunition Safety, Concealed Carry, and NJ2AS Prez. - [...] week we quickly talk about a video put out by SAAMI considering the safety of storing and transporting ammunition…