Call Frank Lautenberg, because tonight, Bitter beat me. Twice. Last week she attended our Thursday silhouette league, and did pretty well. This week she shot a AAA score of 24 air pistol, open sights. I did not even manage to shoot a AAA score with Mata Gallina. If you start shooting competitively, you’ll start getting very good at making excuses for shooting badly. For tonight, here are the excuses I thought up.
- I let her win, because I like to encourage new shooters, you know.
- I gave her the gun that I did a trigger job on, whereas mine is still shooting right from the factory, and Crosman triggers right from the factory are pretty appalling.
- I wasn’t wearing my favorite shoes. The shoes I was wearing have a springy air cushion in the heel, which pushes me forward onto my toes, and I don’t get a good stable balance. Bitter was wearing platform shoes, so this excuse is particularly lame, which is why I’m proud to have thought of it.
- Red dot sights on Mata Gallina I got yesterday still aren’t quite where I would like them to be, whereas the sight settings on my open sight gun are about as good as I can get them.
- It was very hot and humid out, and Bitter being from Oklahoma has an unfair advantage.
I could probably think of a few more if I had enough time. But the fact is she beat me, fair and square. Naturally this means I need to transfer my pellet trap to the car so she can’t practice while I’m at work.