We’ve all seen the jokes about how Obama is “salesman” of the year for most gun shops in the country. We’ve seen the consistent reports about high gun sales since mid-2008. We’ve felt our wallets grow lighter due to higher prices caused by this short supply. The ammo shelves, while not bare anymore, hasn’t exactly been flush in the last few years. Primers? Heh, good luck because reloading didn’t even save folks from the surge in demand.
But how is this for perspective: All of the top 10 months for NICs checks – save two – have been since it became obvious that Obama would win the election.
November 2008 1,529,635
- Notable Event: Obama Election
December 2008 1,523,426
- Notable Event: More of the nation realizing the new president’s buddies are former terrorists.
December 2009 1,407,155
- Notable Event: It’s Christmas & Obama is still president.
March 2009 1,345,096
- Notable Event: Eric Holder announces renewed push for gun bans.
March 2010 1,300,100
- Notable Event: Pelosi announces she no longer expects to hold actual “votes” in Congress anymore.
February 2009 1,259,078
- Notable Event: January’s paycheck went to pay off all of the holiday gift bills. Holiday gifts included many guns & stockings full of ammo, as shown by the 2nd highest NICS month.
December 2006 1,253,840
- Notable Event: Democrats take back the House of Representatives & Nancy Pelosi is announced as Speaker-elect in the weeks after the election.
December 1999 1,253,354
- Notable Event: I have absolutely no idea. The only thing I can figure out is that it was about this time that media attention was shifting to Al Gore’s candidacy and the start of the Democratic primaries. (I don’t remember December of 1999 too well. I was in college & I had mono that month. I drank until finals, crammed until I flew home, and then slept for the rest of the month.)
February 2010 1,243,211
- Notable Event: Obama is still president, and he really starts to twist the arms on health care. Many to start to wonder what is next on his agenda.
October 2009 1,233,982
- Notable Event: Obama is still president.
Thanks to NSSF for this data. Â I love random facts. Â If any of you can think of other notable events in these months (or in the few days before the month) that might have influenced sales, feel free to add them in the comments.