Based on this article, you would almost think a bottle of Mike’s Hard Lemonade is rat poison:
The Comerica cop estimated that Leo had drunk about 12 ounces of the hard lemonade, which is 5% alcohol. But an ER resident who drew Leo’s blood less than 90 minutes after he and his father were escorted from their seats detected no trace of alcohol.
“Completely normal appearing,” the resident wrote in his report, “… he is cleared to go home.”
But it would be two days before the state of Michigan allowed Ratte’s wife, U-M architecture professor Claire Zimmerman, to take their son home, and nearly a week before Ratte was permitted to move back into his own house.
The father, a Professor of Archeology at the University of Michigan, who doesn’t watch much television, apparently was unaware that it was alcoholic lemonade.Â Easy mistake to make.
One 12 ounce bottle of hard lemonade isn’t going to hurt a 7 year old.Â Hell, they used to tell parents to give whiskey to kids to fight teething pain (ask my dad about that one).Â It was a simple mistake, and a bit of questioning should have revealed that, and that should have been the end of it.
Hat tip to Orin Kerr.