More Court Challenges

The Connecticut gun control package is going to be challenged in Court. It’s not just Connecticut, but Maryland too. I don’t honestly have much faith in the Courts to do the correct thing in these cases, but circumstances would seem to have forced the issue front and center. I’ve mentioned before, I feel much more comfortable with SAF’s strategy of carefully pressing issues one-by-one, but it’s not clear whether a carry case is going to reach the Supreme Court, given they’ve turned down cert from two appeals in two circuits now, and now Illinois is changing its law.

6 Responses to “More Court Challenges”

1. Dave says:

Is this the same SAF that we’ve decided not to support? If not SAF, who gets our checks to support Gura’s work?

• Sebastian says:

I’ll get over my anger over Toomey-Manchin with SAF at some point. But have you seen SAF’s Form 990s? All of SAF’s legal activity amount to about 9% of their total revenue. They spent about 3x that amount on fundraising. I also think SAF could stand to improve their score on Charity Navigator.

2. Dave says:

I have a hard time reconciling the SAF stats with the begging they recently did for more contributions.

What are they smoking? 9% – oh boy, time to find another way of funding Gura.

• Sebastian says:

Well, I think Alan Gura has more to say about who funds him than we do. I think SAF is doing good work there. What I’m saying is that the overall amount of money SAF spends on legal matters isn’t that great, and I doubt that my anger over Toomey-Manchin necessarily jeopardizes SAF’s legal funding. They have a lot of room to find money from other areas if they need to. They won’t need to, because Alan Gottlieb is a fundraising machine, no matter what I might say about their role on Toomey-Manchin. I just can’t in good conscience help promote them as long as that deal is haunting us in Congress, which it will for some time.

3. Patrick says:

Maryland Shall Issue has already gone to court – along with some other state groups – to force the state police to process background check paperwork on time. Right now the backup for you to even buy a gun – months before any new laws go into effect – is over two months. We’re talking about NICS + state checks taking two months! That is unconstitutional and unacceptable.

And we haven’t even gotten to the new laws yet…

• Patrick says:

And by “we haven’t gotten to the new laws yet” I mean quite simply that this current suit is based on current law. There are a lot of people looking to take on the new laws when they go into effect. Nobody is ignoring them.