When we started looking at the new Brady boycott of Starbucks, we wondered if they would be silly enough to show their cards. I assumed they wouldn’t when they were making crazy claims like this:
Because we outnumber the NRA’s extremist members by 50 to 1, NGAC’s economic lever gives our side a strategy the NRA cannot defeat.
There’s simply nothing to actually back that up. Under the supervision of actual DC professionals, the official Brady Starbucks protest of two years ago kept their numbers secret for a reason. They collected the “petitions” in order to build their email list, and they could then claim to do “something” even if no one signed other than the staff and board members. This new Brady division seems to have forgotten some of those key points.
They actually started a competing Facebook event for their boycott. As of this post, they have 137 planned attendees. Okay, so maybe it’s still something that Starbucks could be losing 137 customers. However, looking at the comments on their wall, that’s not the case. Here’s a sample:
- “reeeely EZ to boycott a place I never go lol”
- “Oh I have HATED coffee shops for many many years..EASY PEASY!”
- “I ALWAYS boycott Starbucks because of Schultz’ views about Palestine”
- “I have always boycotted Starbucks.”
- “I don’t do Starbucks because I don’t drink coffee.”
- “I am in a perpetual boycott of their sub par hot chocolate and overpriced pretentious products.”
- “This may not be as difficult for me as some others. I’ve never been in a Starbucks.”
- “I HAVE NEVER BEEN IN A STARBUCKS FACILITY BUT I SUPPORT WHAT YOU ARE DOING BECAUSE YOU HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A CONSIENCIOUS PERSON WHO ADVOCATED FOR ISSUES THAT WERE IMPORTANT TO PEOPLE.”
- “I quit using Starbucks more than a year ago, but I totally support your efforts on this important issue!!”
There are like two people who have said that they ever visit Starbucks and may reconsider during the boycott. Otherwise, Starbucks is only being “boycotted” by people who already don’t shop there.
Meanwhile, on our side, our folks are going out of their way to support the company. Those who are regular customers are planning on buying a little extra on February 14, so ultimately they win. As of this post, Starbucks is gaining more than 9,200 customers old and new on February 14. So, yeah. Those numbers make the case pretty clearly. Which is why I’m still shocked they actually wanted to show their cards like this.
UPDATE: I guess they were tired of us showing over and over how low their numbers really are since they have now hidden the number of attendees from their Facebook event page. Thirdpower has a screenshot from yesterday morning when they had 132 attendees.
19 Responses to “Showing Your Cards”
- A Little Taste Of Home | The Minuteman - [...] blogs and Facebook events there are a lot of people who don't drink coffee. One particular comment stood out ...
- Starbucks Appreciation Day (Starbucks Buycott) | The Minuteman - [...] In January they organize a candle light vigil which we turned on its head and they became quite irritated ...
- Forces of Liberty Win Again | Ordnancecorner’s Weblog - [...] event were set up on Facebook and competition over the most “will be attending” began. A statistic the NGAC ...