It’s a Feature, Really

Apparently none of the shot timer apps for iPhone will work with the iPhone 4s noise canceling microphone. I guess it works if it can silence gunfire. Sounds like Apple should put an API in to disable noise cancellation, assuming it’s not built directly into the hardware.

9 Responses to “It’s a Feature, Really”

1. ExurbanKevin says:

And the noise-canceling works really well: I had my new iPhone 4 RIGHT up against my pistol, and it wouldn’t start the timer on the Surefire app I was using.

2. Arizona Rifleman says:

Kevin: I have the same software on my iPod Touch 4th Gen.

I cranked the sensitivity up to 100% and it detected gunshots, but it detected ALL gunshots at the range. Not cool.

3. chris says:

I am getting an iPhone today, any must have gun apps?

Ballistic is a must.

5. ExurbanKevin says:

Taking AZRifleman’s advice, I went by a local range on the way home today.

I cranked up the sensitivity on the Surefire app to 100% (it won’t go to eleven) and durn if the durn thing didn’t work.

Problem solved.

6. Olav says:

Chris,

A must have iPhone app?

I’m a gun enthusiast and wrote an iPhone app called “Gun Spot” that shows you all the FFL holders in the country. You can look up gun stores and stuff like that.

7. Joshua says:

I have always wondered whether exposure to gunfire damaged the mic on cell phones. It sure damages your ears… Any thoughts?

Speakers are a different beast than the human ear.

9. Cymond says:

“Speakers are a different beast than the human ear.”
    I’ve seen speakers blown out by over use. I imagine it is possible for too many gunshots to damage a sensitive microphone.

1. Another Thing the iPhone 4 Can’t Do « A Geek With Guns - [...] The Firearm Blog I found a post on Snowflakes in Hell that reveals another thing the iPhone 4 can’t…