Wisconsin DNR Bans Phasers, Coil Guns, for Hunting

This looks like a solution in search of a problem.

11 Responses to “Wisconsin DNR Bans Phasers, Coil Guns, for Hunting”

1. Robb Allen says:

Well, coil guns exist already. You can propel metal bits pretty darned fast with them. In fact, there was a story about that very thing that popped up today on my RSS reader.

If, by whatever means possible, can provide a quick and clean kill, it shouldn’t matter how the object is propelled. But that’d bring logic into the mix, and we can’t have that.

2. Tom says:

But the military and police will be allowed to use them on us.

3. guy says:

My friend and I actually constructed a working railgun. Firing either carbon or copper slugs.

It might be powerful enough to kill a deer, but the capacitor bank alone weighs 300 pounds, so dragging it around the woods would be a chore as would finding a heavy gauge extension cord long enough.

4. teqjack says:

Bows? Slings? Lassos/garottes?

Dang, I suppose my onager and trebuchet are out.

5. Linoge says:

Funny you should mention coil guns… http://www.wallsofthecity.net/2009/05/zot.html

Granted, 13 ft-lbs of impact energy probably is not enough to effectively hunt with, but it is something.

6. Linoge says:

And Robb beat me to it. Never mind :).

7. Billll says:

There is a way to build a special case of a rail gun without the capacitor banks, but it still requires 15+ amps of AC current. As usual, the power supply is the show stopper.

Still, this almost provides me with the incentive to build one of the things.

8. Ian Argent says:

Likewise a spring-gun (which I found out recently is banned in NJ, go figure)

9. Wes S. says:

So I guess my phased plasma rifle in the forty-megawatt range is right out, huh?

10. M Gallo says:

One more example of why the WI DNR is the most out of control agency in the state, and needs to be systematically stripped of their power and dismantled.

The main problem is all the Fudds that just keep going along with the regs, because they aren’t affected with pappy’s deer gun or whatever. Many of our firearms laws in this state are actually DNR regs, not laws, but they carry Prima Facie power and are very difficult to get overturned in court.

11. Hunting Guy says:

what’s the problem using phasers anyway? I can agree with coil gun being dangerous at times, specially for the kids, but phasers, nah… :)