Here’s a Headline I Never Thought I’d See

Medical Marijuana Users Fight For Gun Rights

You really have to wonder if some mornings Helmke can’t help but cry into his coffee.

11 Responses to “Here’s a Headline I Never Thought I’d See”

1. Mike w. says:

Are you SURE today’s not April 1st?….

2. Ian Argent says:

On NPR no less. That was an incredibly positive article.

3. Kcoz says:

Can someone on prescribed pain killers like percocet have their permit taken away? Because I don’t see how this is any different than that.

Legally no, but if you have a prescription for Percoset, you’re not an unlawful user of a controlled substance for 4473 purposes. Federal law doesn’t recognize medicinal marijuana prescriptions.

Strictly as a matter of law, assuming the drug subsection of 922(g) is constitutional, someone who’s an admitted user of marijuana, whether they have a prescription or not, is prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal law.

5. Mayor Joel Stoner says:

Well of course 922(g) is unconstitutional. Rights do not go away simply because you are drunk, or an addict of illegal drugs. Whats next removal of first amendment rights because you were convicted of copyright violations? Sadly it is most likely this will fail, because courts do not like to remove government control.

I don’t disagree, but I’m speaking of the law. What we think is unconstitutional is not necessarily the same as what federal judges think is unconstitutional.

7. Ian Argent says:

Marijuana has no recongized medical use per the DEA – and they won’t let anyone do research to prove otherwise.

(That having been said, I think there’s about a dozen or so federally-legal users of MJ after a pilot program in the late nineties; they get there pot from a federal grower and it’s apparently crap).

8. TCK says:

“Legally no, but if you have a prescription for Percoset, you’re not an unlawful user of a controlled substance for 4473 purposes. ”

Also, I’d imagine most DA’s are going to look at you askance if you shoot someone while loaded up to the gills on painkillers.

9. Ed says:

“Guns and Weed: The Road to Freedom”

The whole movie is available to watch in YouTube in 16 segments here is the first segment.

10. hoodoo operator says:

I’m going to have to watch that tonight

11. Kcoz says:

Thanks for clarifying that for me Sebastion. Still can’t figure out why the federal government won’t allow the for the medical use of mj ,but far more addictive drugs like oxycotin are ok. It’s not just the gun laws that make no sense.

1. SayUncle » Guns and drugs - [...] Also, your form 4473 asks you to affirm you’re not an illegal user of drugs. Via SIH. [...]