Gun Control Measures Fail

I am quite pleased to report that all four proposed gun control amendments (to an appropriations bill) have failed:

• Chuck Grassley (R-IA) floated an amendment that would sweeten the pot yet again for states to report records to NICS. It failed 53-47, needing 60 votes to invoke cloture and pass. This was largely a party line vote, with only Kirk and Gardener voting “no,” and with Donnelly voting “yes.”
  • Diane Feinsten’s (D-CA) Amendment to prohibit suspected terrorists from possessing firearms failed outright 47-53. Kelly Ayotte, was the only Republican to cross the aisle and vote “yes.” Toomey was a “no.” Heitkamp was the only Dem to cross and vote “no.”
  • John Cornyn’s (R-TX) Amendment, which would have delayed purchase 72 hours to give the FBI a chance to act also failed 53-47. Jeff Flake crossed the isle to vote “no.” with the Democrats. Voting yes with the Republicans were Donnelly (D-IN) and Manchin (D-WV). I’m not going to hold it against anyone for voting “no” on this, but now we have the Dems on record as rejecting any compromise solution.
  • Chris Murphy (D-CT) proposed an amendment that would ban private transfers. It failed outright 44-56, party line. Kirk (R-IL) crossed to vote “yes” with the Dems. Heitkamp (D-ND), Tester (D-MT), and Manchin (D-WV) crossed the aisle to vote “no” with the Republicans.

Pat yourselves on the back, even if your name is Pat Toomey. He voted with us where I expected he’d vote against us. Must be an election year! Bloomberg is going to be one sad panda.

14 Responses to “Gun Control Measures Fail”

1. Homo Iracundus says:

What on earth do they have against the NICS record reporting?!

2. Chiefjaybob says:

I really have an intense, burning hatred for Kirk. I’m seriously thinking of voting for Duckworth in November. If I’m going to be represented by a Democrat, I insist they label themselves accordingly.

• Countertop says:

A Pokitician will do what they need to do to survive. Kirk represent Illinois. If he voted the way you want, than Michelle Obama would be your US Senator. I think you can appreciate how much better Kirk is than that.

3. Shawn says:

I’m actually surprised McCain voted against the private transfer ban. With his prior support and voting for such legislation In the past I would of expected him to vote for it again. He must be feeling the pressure.

4. Kirk Parker says:

What’s up with Ayotte? When is her term up? I occasionally send money to out-of-state folks, and if she has a credible and decent primary challenger next time I would happily send a few dollars their way.

5. RAH says:

i sent my email but it did no good I live in MD and gun control is a moral good to my Senators.

Knew the bills would lose. Personally Coryn’s bill was a big concession. The watch lists are an intelligence tool Not a tool to punish.

72 hr for the state to prove to a court is a lack of due process to the defendant. No civil right should be denied to a citizen unless they are charged and convicted. With all the delays and evidentiary rules in play.

6. great unknown says:

At the very least, she does not believe in due process. She worked with Gillibrand in an attempt to strip men of due process in rape accusations [today, it’s a DOJ recommendation; they wanted to make it a law].

But the real answer is probably simpler. NH is a small state but extremely corrupt at the political levels. The question can probably be answered by following the money.

7. Chas says:

“Bloomberg is going to be one sad panda.”

That tiny, little, heartless man always is.