Thirdpower notes that the local gun show near him broke records. This weekend around here, the Oaks gun show was absolutely swamped. I just hope all these people panic buying are planning to join the fight, because there’s no guarantee you’re going to get to keep what you panic buy if you don’t. Voting with your wallet is part of the picture, but only part.
But we also need to make the Obama Adminstration sorry they decided to fuck with gun owners, and make sure lawmakers and policy makers can’t take a dump without running into some gun owner asking them to vote against more gun control. We have to hold feet to the fire, of Democrats and Republicans alike. So what do we do?
- Know the facts.
- Communicate with lawmakers. Communicate with them now. Communicate with them when we have an actual bill, and keep the pressure on.
- Show up at rallies and protests when asked.
- Give them idea of things to do (Something must be done!) that doesn’t involve more gun control.
- Talk to neighbors, friends co-workers and family. This can often be more productive than shouting at people on the Internet. Use some of the same idea you use with lawmakers.
- Do you belong to a gun club? Get them involved.
- Sign people up for NRA. I know a lot of people don’t like them, but they are who the politicians pay attention to, and a surge in NRA membership would make them pay attention.
I believe our opponents response was planned and coordinated, and they were ready to execute the moment the awful news hit the airways. I don’t know about you, but I’m not sure where I would have found professionally made signs late on a Friday ready for noon Monday delivery. I don’t know how so many of the same outlets were right on message. We were told by anti-gun groups in the weeks approaching that change was coming, and that the writing was on the wall for our day in the sun being soon over. That smacks of someone who knows of a brilliant plan, and who were just waiting for a moment to execute.
Our side is not quite so coordinated. We are composed of a great many more people than our opponents have ever given us credit for. We take time to mobilize, but the Powder Alarm has sounded, and we’re seeing signs of it. The petition at the White House is getting close to 40,000 (it was 18,000 when I posted yesterday about it). The NRA’s plan was radio silence. We did this without them. If Joe Manchin, who is backpedaling a bit, think what they are facing right now is scary, well, sir, I think you ain’t seen nothing yet. Today I’ve been focusing dark clouds on the horizon, and make no mistake, we’re in the fight of our lives. We emerged from the 1994 AWB beaten up, but our strength renewed. If we fight them back now, this will be it for them. They will no longer be able to keep up the narrative of the NRA, and gun voters as a paper tiger. But that depends on what we’re willing to do.
19 Responses to “Mobilization”
- Fantasy and Reality | Weer'd World - [...] blood of children is the best for their dancing shoes. Sebastian notes that the antis pulled out professionally printed …