Let’s defeat some stereotypes about the backgrounds the kind of people who support gun rights come from.
- Our Heller opinion writer, Justice Scalia, is the son of Italian immigrants. Born in Trenton, New Jersey and raised in New York City, and graduated from a Roman Catholic High School. Graduated summa cum laude from Georgetown, and went on to Harvard Law School. He was nominated to The Court by Ronald Reagan.
- Joining in the opinion is fellow Italian-American, Justice Alito, who was also born in Trenton, New Jersey, and raised in Hamilton Township, just outside of Trenton. He attended Princeton University, and Yale Law school. He is a Roman Catholic. He was nominated to The Court by George W. Bush.
- Justice Kennedy comes to us from the number one Brady ranked state of California. He attended Stanford University, with his law degree coming from Harvard. He is also, along with our previous two justices, a Roman Catholic. He was nominated to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals by Gerald Ford, who also nominated Justice Stevens to the Supreme Court. He was nominated to the Supreme Court by Ronald Reagan.
- Justice Thomas is from Georgia. In addition to being an African-American, he is also a Roman Catholic. He attended the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachuetts, and helped found the Black Student Union at that school. He went on to Yale Law school. He was put on the Supreme Court to fill the vacancy left by Thurgood Marshall b George H.W. Bush.
- Chief Justice Roberts was born in Buffalo, New York. He is Czech on his maternal side, and his father was an executive with Bethlehem Steel. The Roberts family grew up in Indiana. He attended a Catholic boarding school in LaPorte, Indiana, and attended Harvard College, and eventually went on to Harvard Law. After serving as Deputy Soliciter General in the first Bush Administration, he was appinted by the same administration to the D.C. court of appeals, and finally the Chief Justice by the second Bush Adminsitration. He is a Roman Catholic.
The backgrounds of these men are as varied as one can imagine, except for the fact that they are all Roman Catholic. Alito and Scalia have chewed much of the same ground I have. I live ten minutes away from Trenton, and grew up not far from here. This is the last place you’d imagine that two out of the give majority justices would be from, but there you go.
8 Responses to “Defeating Stereotypes”
- Call me Ahab » Blog Archive » Big old ball of Heller links - [...] Sebastian blows up some stereotypes. [...]