Thanks to intrepid reader ErnieD, I have links to all nine of the Philadelphia gun control bills that were passed out of committee at city council. Keep in mind that all of these laws are in violation of the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania:
- Assault Weapons Ban
- Ban on possession for mere accusation of a crime
- License required for possession of firearms
- Temporary removal of firearms from dangerous persons
- Persons subject to restraining orders not to have firearms
- Failure to report a lost or stolen firearm
- Registration of all ammunition sales
- Rationing of Firearms
- Registration of all guns by LTCF holders
Some of these are extraordinarily bad, and will ban many common target guns, and guns such as the Glock 19C. Nutter has sworn to enforce these laws. The question is, what are we, as gun owners, going to do about it? Write your state reps, write the state attorney general, and politely ask if there’s anything they can do about this. Philadelphia is part of Pennsylvania, and subject to its laws and constitution, and we shouldn’t stand for this kind of treatment from corrupt big city politicians.
UPDATE: Rereading the assault weapons ban, it’s amazing how poorly worded it is. It bans a LOT of firearm no one would consider assault weapons, and also pretty much any ammo that’s not standard FMJ. A creative prosecutor could argue the law bans such firearms as the M1 Garand. Even a 1903 Springfield. The law pretty clearly bans firearms such as the Ruger Charger.
UPDATE: Rightwing prof comments:
I hate to state the obvious, but if those people are so worried about crime, they might try locking criminals up and throwing away the keys instead of patting them on the top of the head and making them community heroes. Remember that guy this spring who held up all of those pizza places and convenience stores here? He was convicted and sentenced to 223 years, and the prosecutor is appealing the sentence because he says it should be 455 years.
Maybe our prosecutor could go to Philly and give a seminar on crime prevention.
16 Responses to “Philadelphia Gun Bills”
- Right Wing Nation » A Cluebat For Philadelphia Idiots - [...] wrote an article about all of the gun control legislation the Philadelphia Democrats are pushing, and I commented: I…