9/11 Changed His Views

Apparently Rudy claims that 9/11 changed his views about gun ownership.   If only he had come up with this explanation from the beginning, I might have bought it.  9/11 certainly changed my views on a lot of things, and I could have accepted that.

But seriously, if 9/11 was really an eye opener, wouldn’t it especially make sense to advocate that more law abiding people in New York City ought to be able to go about armed like they can in 3 out of the next 5 largest cities?  New York is the primary target, after all.   It seems to me that if 9/11 really changed Giuliani’s views on gun control, he would want to start with New York City, not make vague appeals to “states rights”, and suggest that New Yorkers somehow can’t be trusted with arms, while the rest of the country can.   Sounds like horse crap to me.

Hat tip: SayUncle

10 Responses to “9/11 Changed His Views”

1. BadIdeaGuy says:

I was trying to find a transcript. I wonder if he’d sign the ban that will surely be written by the Congress?

I think it depends. Rudy doesn’t have to be a true believer to understand that gun owners are an important component of his electoral success. Like I’ve said before, I’d like to see him not be the nominee, but if he is, I’m better with someone who needs my vote to win rather than someone who can crap all me without suffering much (Hillary). Giuliani is far from the ideal candidate, but even if I don’t believe his conversion, I’d be willing to accept promises to be good to us regardless of any differences in views. If he welches, well, we can always stay home in 2012.

3. anon says:

“9/11 changed his views”?

Didn’t make him drop the lawsuits.

“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs5DxwzEXHQ&mode=related&search”

He’s lying.

In his defense, he probably can’t. The City of New York is the party there, and in all probability, only Bloomberg could stop them now. Not going to happen.

5. Alcibiades McZombie says:

Maybe he could publicly ask Bloomberg to stop the lawsuits.

6. anon says:

He couldn’t stop them now, but he was mayor through 2001.

The lawsuit referenced in the YouTube vid is Giuliani’s from 20 June 2000 and was NOT dropped by him after 9/11/2001. It was still winding it’s way through the courts when he left office.

Lawsuits launched by Giuliani/NYC (as well as DC v. Beretta et al) were part of the reason for the “Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act” (2005). Rudy is the enemy.

It’s not just Bloomberg.

Good point. I certainly don’t want to be mistaken for believing that Rudy is a true friend of gun owners. I also don’t buy his 9/11 conversion precisely because it seems to have only come about since he realized he might have a shot at being president.

8. anon says:

You can tell a lot about a person by the company they keep:

“http://armedandsafe.blogspot.com/2007/09/so-is-he-their-80-percent-friend-too.html”
    “http://armedandsafe.blogspot.com/2007/09/rudy-for-second-amendment-yeah-right.html”

(hat tip to Armed and Safe)

9. anon says:

More:

“http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/rwg/html/2000a/weekly/wkly0626.html”

He has an awful lot to atone for.

10. Alcibiades McZombie says:

I meant as a sign of good faith. If he really wants the support of gun owners, he has to be more active.

1. SayUncle » And what if I’m wrong about Giuliani? - [...] has stated his recent support for gun rights was due to 9-11. I, and others, have stated they don’t…