Battling the Cosmoline

Got the new SKS today.  For the rest of the evening, I will be battling the cosmoline.  Pictures forthcoming when I’ve won.  This will be a good test of Gunzilla.

9 Responses to “Battling the Cosmoline”

1. That is sooooooo much fun. I need to buy another milsurp just so I can go through that again.

Seriously though… its a good thing the SKS isn’t that complicated… I still know I’ve missed some of the nooks and crannies in mine. It shoots, and doesn’t get gunk on my shirt though, so I’m not all that worried.

Enough for tonight. I got most of it done. But I still have the receiver and barrel to do.

3. Nathaniel says:

I want to get an SKS in the near future, and I keep hearing about the legendary measures required to clean the crazy things. Is there a guide somewhere that tells a clueless person how to do it? I know I’m going to need such instructions; hopefully before the summer is out.

4. AughtSix says:

The best way I found to clean off cosmoline was something like this. Just make an oven out of a trash can. The cosmoline runs right off.

It’s not that difficult to clean. No more difficult than any other rifle. It’s easier than a kalashnikov, because the gas system operates more cleanly.

6. Robb Allen says:

All I can say is that Goof Off is a miracle worker on cosmoline. I got 80% of the gunk off my M44 without wiping.

Stinks to high heaven though.

Paint thinner works pretty decently too. Basically any light hydrocarbon will get rid of cosmoline, but that creates a hazardous waste problem. I’m trying to keep solvent use to a minimum. Basically, I melt the cosmoline off in the oven first, which gets the bulk of it to drip out, then wipe with a cloth. I then get the nooks and crannies with the Gunzilla stuff. Some cosmoline coating being left is beneficial, since it’s a corrosion inhibitor. It’s only really the barrel, gas system, and any other place that gets hot that I’m concerned about getting it all completely out.

8. Michael says:

I believe over at beerbaitnammo.blogspot.com, he stated in using a steamer to remove the bulk of cosmoline. I tried the method and like it for mass removal. Granted I sitll had to use some solvents,but the steamer kept it to a minimum,which makes the wife happy. The smell of it gives her head aches.

9. Firehand says:

I use mineral spirits, do it outside and put the used stuff in a tub I can seal for future use; the old grease settles to the bottom.