Why You Can’t Trust Gun Control Advocates

I found one of them peddling this bit around, so like a grade school teacher, I have marked it up in red and corrected the ignorance, inaccuracies, and distortions:

Gun Knowledge Fail

Gun Knowledge Fail

20 Responses to “Why You Can’t Trust Gun Control Advocates”

1. McThag says:

I have to admit, they’re learning. It takes about ten seconds to empty that 30-rounder and about 3 seconds to change mags so you could indeed easily get 100 rounds per minute out of a semi-auto. In times past they’d have quoted the 650 round cyclic rate of an M4A1.

• Rolf says:

For what it’s worth, I’ve seen a couple of stories saying he had a 100 round drum mag (brand not named, but something like a Beta C-Mag), but stopped firing the AR when it jammed, so he transitioned to another gun. Of course, this is the MSM we are are talking about, so details are likely to be sketchy, contradictory, and inaccurate for a while, yet.

• Sigivald says:

Yeah, probably.

Makes my finger feel tired just thinking of pulling 100 times that fast, though.

2. Cargosquid says:

McThag….shh…..don’t encourage them. Or teach them.

Anyway, Sebastian, who was sending this around? Please tell us so that we may go and mock them.

3. Cargosquid says:

Found it.

Guess what? He admits to spreading idiocy and false info to spread propaganda. And he changed the pic…stupidly.

Author’s note: Yes, I realize that an actual 100-round magazine extends much further down than the 30-round one in this image. Making the 100-round magazine to scale would have made the image very unwieldy. And yes, I also realize that a rifle shoots bullets; that the trigger only actuates the firing. Note how the title of this piece is Connecting the Dots Between NRA Lobbying and the Batman Massacre, not Technical Specifications of an AR-15.

• TS says:

When I click on your link it looks like he photoshopped the picture Sebastian has to extend the magazine some more.

4. Oranje Mike says:

The blogger admitted his mistakes but brushed them aside because the technical specifics are not what matter since he wanted to highlight his belief that somehow the NRA is to blame for this massacre. What a maroon!

5. scott says:

“Assault weapon (semi-automatic) refers primarily (but not exclusively) to firearms that possess the cosmetics of an assault rifle (which are fully-automatic).”

Continue reading at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban#Definition_of_assault_weapon

6. Thirdpower says:

Exactly. It doesn’t matter what kind of inaccurate information he puts out as long as he can somehow blame da ebil gun lobby.

7. Bram says:

For once, the AR tendency to jam is a feature not a bug.

8. Bill Baldwin says:

September, 1994 Assault weapons ban -> April 1995, Oklahoma City Bombing, yeah, I think Brady Bunch is responsible for those 168 deaths and 680 injuries.

• Harold says:

If you want to play the root causes game, gun control was integral to the beginning of the Waco atrocity, which was the claimed motivation for the OK City bombing….

9. Timmeehh says:

“I have marked it up in read”, Dude, if you are going to set yourself up as an authority and publicly criticize someone else, learn how to spell.

“it’s a machine gun, the ban on which has not expired”, Dude, there has never been a federal machine gun ban, they are strictly regulated and registered, but not banned. You are making my side look bad, please stop.

• Sebastian says:

I fixed the TYPO.

And there is a ban on machine guns the same as there was a ban on so-called “assault weapons,” the ban just grandfathered the existing civilian inventory and prevented new inventory from being created.

I would ask that if you can’t be civil, you do not return or comment again. Thank you.

10. Alpheus says:

I’m inclined to think that a line ought to be added about how a deer rifle, designed to kill a 500lb deer, would kill more people than a rifle designed to *wound* a 150lb man…but then, I don’t want to give schizophrenics useful ideas for their next massacre.

There’s a nice video on Youtube somewhere, where a person blows up a watermellon using an AK-47, but turns another watermellon into pink mist with a lever-action deer rifle.

One of the things that astounds me about these massacres, is how many more people were injured, than were killed, when an AK-47 or AR-15 is used. (To date, I’m not sure if anyone has yet to use a deer rifle of any sort in a massacre; I just don’t look forward to the day when someone takes it into their head to use one!)

• Bram says:

I noticed that too. I assumed it was because he couldn’t shoot straight. I shudder to think what it would be like if he had loaded that shotgun with deer slugs and brought an M1A1.

• TS says:

Not to belittle the 12 dead, but five times as many as that were wounded, so it seems the guns did a better job at wounding than killing (thankfully). I also wonder what kind of rounds he used. That Youtube video you mentioned is more a demonstration of FMJ vs. soft point hunting rounds.

• Sigivald says:

That the AR was designed to wound rather than kill is an urban legend, however – a very long-lived one.

(It’s not exactly lethal like a .308, but that’s a side effect of “lots of light ammo for suppressing fire”, not a design requirement.

It had to fire full auto controllably enough to be useful, have light ammo, and exceed .30M1 Carbine in wounding power. But “wounding power” does not mean “wound but don’t kill”!)

1. American-Manifesto.com » Leftist Suppresses Dissent - [...] Sebastian has marked up the very poster that produced the discussion.  I made similar points in my original response…
  2. Ex Poster Facto | Daily Pundit - [...] Poster Facto Posted on July 23, 2012 9:30 am by Bill Quick…
  3. Bill Quick and other bloggers try to educate Liberals on gun control and guns like the AR-15 « The Daley Gator - [...] at Shall Not Be Questioned has a cool graphic explaining that the AR-15 is just a rifle Why You Can’t…
  4. The Real Facts About Gun Control and Guns | ZION'S TRUMPET - [...] at Shall Not Be Questioned has a cool graphic explaining that the AR-15 is just a rifle Why You Can’t…