Townhall’s Five Great Self-Defense Guns

I’ll give him the J frame Smith and the modern M&P. I’ll grant the 870 is a pretty decent shotgun for home defense, as are most shotguns. But the Taurus Judge? Really? I’m also not to hot on using N-frame S&W for self-defense unless what you’re defending yourself against is an angry bear. Nonetheless, it’s good to see something like this being discussed somewhere other than blogs and forums.

9 Responses to “Townhall’s Five Great Self-Defense Guns”

1. Stranger says:

Yes, it is nice to see these increasingly frequent discussions in the general audience sites and publications. The choices are not at all bad ones, given that the 29/629 is not the only N frame Smith. I often carry a nickel 4″ 57 concealed, and find it little more of a burden than an M&P.

The hole in the end of the 57’s barrel is impressive enough that the trigger has not so far been required. Which is a good thing, since I am not fond of either explaining myself to silly people, or filling out paperwork.

Stranger

2. Weer'd Beard says:

I’m a huge J-Frame Fan and so is my wife, but REALLY, unless you LIKE revolvers an airweight J-frame (especially for women with their smaller hands and lower upper body strength) is a good way to make sure they never go back to the range.

He also seems to be big on .40 S&W, as well as the .44 Mag which suggests that he reads a bit more gun rags than forensics reports.

A bit macho and ignorant for my tastes, but that’s what you can expect when something goes mainstream.

3. Jeff says:

I wish he had put this line at the top so I didn’t waste the time reading the rest: “Generally, all you have to do is rack the pump once and the intruder leaves the premises. “

4. Philbert says:

This is some kind of joke, right? Someone compiled all the gun-mag tropes. Is it a shotgun, is it a pistol, no it’s the Judge! Wooooo! Then “knockdown power” (meaningless term) and a bunch of other questionable ballistics statements…topped off with the magical bad guy repelling powers of a shotgun being pumped.

5. Stretch says:

Any list that has The Judge but not the 1911 must be considered parody or folly.

6. Dann in Ohio says:

Hey, don’t be pickin’ on the ol’ Taurus Judge… the good ol’ boys ’round here tell me one shot can blow a 350 small block clean out of a 1978 Camaro, cause a bad guy to fly backwards doing three complete backflips in mid-air, or kill a deer – on the run – at 200 yards…

Dann in Ohio

7. Well, if I were grading Prof. Adam’s paper, he’d get a 40.

1. 10 out of 20. Mike Adams, Jeff Cooper, and I all agree on the usefulness of the stainless J-frame. Colonel Cooper was known to carry a Model 60 when wearing business suits. I favor the 638. However, the 640 in .357 magnum is simply over powered in its size and weight class.

2. 10 out of 20. .40 S&W is a reasonable choice, but I had too many friends get shot (and some die) from negligent discharges from Glock or similar pistols. I prefer a design that requires two items to be manipulated in order to fire. The HK P7 squeeze-cocker and the manual safety on the M1911 are examples of what I mean. My present choice is the HK USP40 Compact.

3. 5 of 20. Some gun is better than none, but The Judge …

4. 0 out of 20. Have enough gun. If thing have deteriorated to the point that your normal carry gun isn’t sufficient, you want to pull a rifle or shotgun out of the trunk.

5. 15 out of 20. The Remington 870 is a fine gun, but not the only one to consider. The Marines like their Benellis, the Army is doing OK with their Mossbergs, and I prefer my Ithica 37.

That’s my advice. Remember, free advice is worth what you paid for it.

8. Cargosquid says:

I stopped paying attention at:

“The rifling on the barrel really allows the 410 pattern to open up nicely within the span of just a few feet”

Rifling makes shot patterns “open up”…..ok then.

9. Jeff says:

@Cargosquid: It does actually. Shooting shot in rifled bores tends to lead to a rapidly expanding doughnut shaped pattern.