I Guess I’m Not the Only One …

Who has this dream:

I still have this dream, and I’ve been out of college now for 12 years. My God, has it really been that long?  I tend to wonder whether or not it’s related to anxiety over forgetting everything you ever learned.  I don’t think I can even remember how to do integration by parts.  I definitely couldn’t design an amplifier or other such electrical circuit without spending days hitting the books and relearning everything.  Hell, I’m not sure I even remember the math for complex electronic circuits.  I barely remember the physics of a transistor.

And I’m an electrical engineer.  This is what I get for working in IT for 10 years.  I guess it’s true what they say, your major is the subject you will learn and forget the most about.

12 Responses to “I Guess I’m Not the Only One …”

1. Daniel C. says:

I have this dream all the time. I have both a BS & an MBA and have never had this happen in real life, yet it haunts me in my dreams….very troubling.

2. Dock says:

Oh dude. I’ve had that dream over and over, and I started college in ’89.

I hate the “hey wait… how did I end up not going to this class until now?” part.

3. Bitter says:

I have a version of it, too. The first time I did, it was so vivid that I actually logged into my old college account to pull up my transcript to see if it was based off of a class I took or dropped.

4. Robb Allen says:

Funny you should mention that. While I learned my electronics via the Marine Corps and not through college, it was 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, for six months of nothing BUT electronics (no Womyn’s Struggle Against the Patriarchal Oppression Studies or Comparative Religion classes to clutter things up).

I still have some of my old notebooks with all my class notes and when I look at them, they might as well be in Mandarin. I remember not one whit of it. The most I remember from all the circuitry and wires was that 440 volts hurts like hell.

5. Joe Huffman says:

It’s been nearly 32 years since I got my BSEE and 24 years since I got my MSEE.

I had a variation of that dream last month.

6. Ride Fast says:

My version of that dream is I can’t understand the instruments I’m looking at and / or the controls don’t work, either as an automation engineer or pilot.

Either the plant is about to explode or I’m auguring in. I wake up in a panic and a cold sweat.

7. Alcibiades says:

This somehow kept happening to me in middle school. I’d somehow miss out that a project was assigned and wouldn’t know about it until the day before it was due.

8. Bram says:

BA and MBA – still have the dream – it’s my second worst recurring dream.

#1 is my M16 jamming in a firefight.

9. Linoge says:

Heh, I can honestly say that I have never had that dream to my recollection…

Of course, I barely cared about school when I was there, so why would I care about it now? :)

10. tkdkerry says:

+1 on Joe. 32 years, and I’m STILL having that dream. At least I no longer have the dream where I’m walking down the school halls naked.

11. Less says:

Nail on the head!! Funny thing – never have the dream while I’m on vacation, rather only when I’m stressed….

I’ve got a BS in Chem, MS in Chem, and a MS in Math and it was wicked… Ugh. When some ‘nam vet mentions his bad dreams, at least I can understand the mechanism…

12. Shane says:

I remember having moments like that while I was awake. I’d be in my doorm or apartment and get the feeling that I was missing a class. The only way to get rid of that feeling was to dig up the class schedule for that semester and verify that I did not have any classes at that time. Must be memories from schedules of previous semesters.