New Years Eats

I don’t know how many of you have figured out by now that Bitter is now a food blogger.  Her crazy Oklahoma traditions say that black eyed peas on New Years is good luck.  Here, for Irish families at least, it’s Corned Beef and Cabbage, and since that is my ancestral heritage, we’re having that in addition to the black eyed pea dish.  The corned beef cabbage can be cooked in the slow cooker.  Boiling things for long periods of time is the basis of Irish cooking.  While this cooking process tends to dull flavors, that’s nothing an unhealthy amount of salt (provided largely by the corner beef in this dish) can’t fix.  Once you drink enough whisky, you won’t care too much anyway.  Corned Beef and Cabbage is also the traditional Irish-American dish for St. Patricks Day.

11 Responses to “New Years Eats”

1. Richard says:

Down here in the South, there are a few mandatory vittles on New Years Day.

Collard greens cooked with a big ham hock for money and riches in the new year. The more you eat, the more you will make.

Black eyed peas are for good luck. Again, the more the better.

Double fudge brownie ice cream. No specific Southern tradition here…I just like the stuff.

2. Bitter says:

Damn, should have done the collard greens and ham. I have ham. Think that counts? :)

3. For me (Pennsylvania German), the traditional New Year’s Day meal is pork and sauerkraut.

4. kahr40 says:

Collard greens and black eyed peas. Had neither. Boy am I screwed.

5. TexasFred says:

We played it safe!

Cabbage AND blackeyed peas…

6. Richard says:

Ham definitely counts!

7. Corned Beef, Black Eye Pea’s (w/Bacon), and Cabbage on New Years Day = Good Eats & Good Livin’.

Unfortunately, I didn’t have any of that to eat today. I’m screwed on Jan 21 I guess.

8. Corned beef and cabbage? Black-eyed peas for coins and collard greens for bills.

9. JJR says:

We had black-eyed peas and pork-steak with veggies.

10. I had no idea about black eyed peas, until I did an oral history with a friend’s mother who grew up in Texas and Oklahoma in the 30s. You want to know what poor is? Her first job was picking strawberries, and she received five mills per flat. If you don’t know what a “mill” is–that’s one thousandth of a dollar, or one tenth of a cent.

11. Ride Fast says:

[…] Bitter for you, Bitter for me […]

All hail Bitter and Scotch!