The Sebastian Before

I was wondering whether it was this election in particular that was driving me to madness, or whether I had become this unhinged over the prospect of Kerry ’04.  Fortunately (or unfortunately), I have some of my babbling saved for posterity from that time period:

Election Day 2004

Turns out I am particularly unhinged over the prospect of Obama ’08, compared to Kerry ’04.  I seemed to have much more criticism of Bush than I currently do of McCain.  My main criticism over Kerry was that he was a) wrong on foreign policy and b) a great big douche.  Both I still think were true.

But I didn’t fear for the future of my country under Kerry.  Even in 2006, I had to admit that the Republicans really did deserve to lose:

Election Day 2006

But this election, I’ve put pretty much all of my reservations aside in order to defeat Obama.  In the past two years the Democrats have inspired no confidence in their ability to run Congress any better than the Republicans, and they’ve nominated a candidate who I think may actually ruin the country, not merely make a big foreign policy miscalculation.

Maybe I’ve totally lost my mind, but I really believe Obama is a game changer, and if he’s elected, the game will change in dangerous and irreversible ways for people who want government to step back, and who desire more liberty.

11 Responses to “The Sebastian Before”

1. Xrlq says:

You haven’t lost your mind. I see no reason to think that Obama will be any better now than Carter was 30 years ago. And lest any Kool-Aid drinker argue that Carter was no big deal because he brought us Reagan, let me remind you that as of 2008, the Ninth Circuit is still running amok (thank God Carter didn’t get to appoint anyone to the Supreme Court, but there’s no reason to assume we’ll be so lucky this time around), Iran is still the top state sponsor of terror (vs. a boring secular dictatorship when Carter took office), the Department of Education is an order of magnitude larger than the one Reagan inherited and promised to abolish, and we still haven’t gotten the Panama Canal back. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, all the Vietnam draft dodgers are still pardoned, as well.

2. OrangeNeckInNY says:

Nope, you have not lost your mind; I get the same feeling of gloom and doom from an Obama presidency. I just hope Andy Martin comes through in time to get him disqualified with news that he was born in Kenya.

3. Scottw says:

I think the bigger problem now with Hussein is that during the Carter years their was a “larger” base of conservative voters. Carter fooled alot of them(as is Hussein). Now we have at least 1.5 generations of voters who look for a helping hand from the .gov rather than looking at the end of their own arm. SCARY days ahead.

4. Rustmeister says:

I have to agree, Kerry wouldn’t have screwed the country as bad as BHO will.

That’s hard for me to say, because I dislike Kerry much more than I do Obama.

5. thirdpower says:

So he’s given you “change you can believe in”?

6. BadIdeaGuy says:

It seems like we’re at a time when the opposition on Second Amendment issues is ready to say screw the Constitution, screw Heller*, we’ll do what we want (* in the name of “reasonable” restrictions) and we’re going to shut you all down.

I think maybe the sentiment that we’re all feeling is that this is really the last gasp of 60’s radicals, they’re getting impatient, and want to see their true vision (authoritarian socialism) in place before they take dirt naps.

7. >But this election, I’ve put pretty much all of my reservations aside in order to
    >defeat Obama.

For decades we’ve been told that no matter how bad the Republicans are, it’s vitally important we vote for them because the Democrats are even worse. And all it’s gone is gotten us to a place where the Republicans are Worse than the Democrats were when we started. And of course this is entirely rational for Republican politicians. If you’re going to vote for them no matter what they do, why bother worrying about what you want?

8. Claude says:

Thanks for posting your views about the 2004 elections, I now understand where you’re coming from, but I don’t see how you can reconcile your opposition to a marriage amendment and your tacit support for Roe v. Wade.

Assuming the marriage amendment passes with the required majorities, it would be something the people wanted and not a law made by a few unaccountable judges “telling the states what they have to think about it.”

I think the problem with the Libertarian model (and single issue voting in general) is that you fail to see the danger to your own liberties until is too late, which brings us to today. We’re now faced with a choice between a socialist and a centrist that for years has attempted to cross party lines while calling himself a conservative in the Reagan mold.

9. DirtCrashr says:

I’m scared that the Socialist world my Leftwing parents have always wanted and worked towards because they are highly Educated and know what’s best for everybody else, is coming to fruition – even though they know nothing of business, economics, or even physics except the important philosophical aspects….

10. It’s an appalling prospect, but nothing is irreversible.

III

It is if this is the government most people really want. You can decide that death is preferable. Maybe it is. But my fear is that it is irreversible because the people want big government.