The Modern Totem

People think we gun nuts are exaggerating when we say that many believe guns are magical devices, capable of rendering people good or evil. We’re not.

UPDATE: Follow Breda’s link to the original source, and you’ll see it resolves to a site called Wounded in America. I checked their domain registration, and it resolved to Chicago, which got me suspicious.

Follow through to their website, and look who they receive their funding from: Physicians for Social Responsibility, Pikes Peak Community Foundation, and The Medical College of Wisconsin. Physicians for Social Responsibility and Medical College of Wisconsin both get funding from…. wait for it… it’ll shock you… The Joyce Foundation.

As I mentioned in Breda’s comments:

They are an incestuous bunch aren’t they? Great grass roots they have going there. You know, we do our advocacy for free. I think we’re getting the short end of the stick!

15 Responses to “The Modern Totem”

1. Alcibiades McZombie says:

In addition, some people think that .50 is a magical caliber that makes it capable of destroying everything. Doesn’t matter if it’s a black powder or pistol cartridge.

2. Linoge says:

… Wow. Never before seen an anti-rights group or individual freely admit that they believe firearms to be magical items before.

And people take these things seriously?

3. Ian Argent says:

It’s never anyone’s fault. Personal responsibility is unfashionable right now; and has been since the 60’s. Much easier to blame the Ring of Power for corrupting you than to fight Sauron’s influence.

In honor of that, can we call these idiots Gollums? Or is that being too harsh on someone who actually *was* being influenced, instead of dreaming that they are?

4. Ace says:

How about we call them Nazguls?

Or better yet–GunWraiths?

5. Ian Argent says:

Nah – too cool-sounding.

Besides, remember the reason Gollum is called that…

6. BadIdeaGuy says:

Tequila turns me into a monster. Does that excuse my behavior when there’s tequila around?

Do werewolves have opposable thumbs?

7. Ace says:

On second thought, “gollums” can work.

We could always claim they’re being influenced by Paul “The Dark Lord” Helmke. (smirk)

8. Calling Helmke the Dark Lord is giving him waaaay too much credit. Grima Wormtongue, maybe.

9. Ace says:

Paul “Wormtongue” Helmke.

hehehehehehehe

gollums = people who believe guns are magical weapons

(pardon my little geek-out)

10. Ian Argent says:

Doesn’t that make George Soros the Dark Lord? (Kind of appropriate, for the man who funds the Joyce Foundation, but still).

11. Ace says:

George Sauron.

Has a nice ring to it.

12. Cactus Jack says:

Paul “Wormtongue” Helmke.

Hehe, I like that. It fits as well as “the lie pusher”.

13. kaveman says:

Ya’ll have more creativity than me, I always just refered to Helmke as the “ass-bag.”

On a side note, I’ve decided to name my .357 carry piece Froto and the holster it goes in, Sam.

14. HerrBGone says:

So would this make all of the antis in Congress orcs? (And perhaps Ted Kennedy a prominent uruki?) I’ve often thought of the defiled land inside the Beltway as Mordor. It was once a land beautiful and free, but then it was corrupted.

1. SayUncle » More Joyce Funded AstroTurf - [...] Gonzo, Karlin and crew stay busy setting up sham groups. [...]