Welcome Rustmeister

Quite a bold statement buying the Distinguished Life Membership.  Even I’m not a life member.  The one thing I’d remind everyone is that if you’re an NRA member, you should also be aware of the Political Victory Fund, or as I like to call it, the “Defeat Hillary Fund”.  Thanks to our lovely campaign finance laws, PVF can only be supported through member donations.   Thanks John McCain!

9 Responses to “Welcome Rustmeister”

1. Jacob says:

Not quite. 527s like the PVF can accept donations from anyone including 501(c)4 non-profits and for-profit corporations.

I think PVF is a PAC rather than a 527, isn’t it?

3. mike says:

PVF is a PAC.

4. Jacob says:

PVF is 527. It’s basically a bank account.

NRA is 501(c)4. NRA Foundation is 501(c)3.

It may have 527 tax status, but it’s a PAC according to federal election law:

The NRA Political Victory Fund (the “PVF”) is a political committee within the meaning of 2 U.S.C. § 431(4) and is a separate segregated fund of the NRA

6. Jacob says:

Yes. They are required to register with the Board of Elections where they plan to spend money. When you do that your choices are either candidate, political party, or political action committee.

You can see their federal registration here:

You can see their NY registration here:

7. Rustmeister says:

Thanks!

Sometimes ya have to go big or stay at home. =)

8. I’m a Life Member, and for the first time, the NRA has asked me for money — the Distinguished Life Membership.

I’m always curious when I see people complain about the NRA trying to get them to donate. Is it the same NRA? They have never called or written me to solicit funds in the many years I’ve been a member. This is the first time.

9. Jacob says:

The NRA exists as several corporations for tax purposes only. When you join as a member, it’s the 501(c)4. They do marketing to see who gives them extra money and for what purposes. There was a time I didn’t get many requests from them for donations. Now it seems to have picked up a bit.