Dave Hardy has the language, and cuts to the relevant parts for us. The bill will be HR2640. Take a read. As best as I can tell from my reading of it, the key things we get out of this are:
- Clarification of the language of what “adjudicated mental defective” actually means.
- Ability to have mental health related disability removed through a state process
- The ability to appeal decisions of state bodies in regards to mental health related disability removal.
I was hoping for a little more, personally. But this addresses much of the concern we had about state mental health records being put into NICS. I still believe this bill is a net gain for us rather than a loss, so given the current language, I’m still inclined to not oppose passage of this bill.
UPDATE: You can see the bill here on GovTrack. Still no text yet, but we can see the cosponsors. I am very sorry to say that the sponsor of this legislation is Carolyn McCarthy. I’m guessing the Democrats let her introduce the bill so she wouldn’t get snubbed by her own party. This is a disappointment. The Democrats would have pulled off more of a public relations coup by having Boucher introduce it.
5 Responses to “Breaking News on NICS Deal”
- The Countertop Chronicles » McCarthy Bill - [...] Sebastian reported, it looks like McCarthy (Bigot-NY) is the lead sponsor of COngresses latest gun control scheme. No [...]
- SayUncle » Another NICS in the wall - [...] is basically what I said about it. Sebastian breaks it down further. He says it clarifies the definition of ...